After classes I took Michelle to the Kimbap shop, which was shown to me by the previous teachers because of its English menu.
I ordered us way too much food.
We each had an udon soup, a tonkatsu cutlet, coleslaw, and three rolls of kimbap between us.
The owner speaks English and he came up to talk to us. It started with the whole, "where are your from?" business. After Michelle said Sweden he told us how he'd been to Finland, and after I said Canada he told us how he has a trip to Nanaimo coming up where he will be "jumping out of a plane."
Sounds pretty bad ass, but that is actually this guys hobby -he into paragliding and skydiving. It turns out he was pretty high up there in the Korean armed forces and his job included jumping out of planes. He then tld us how he had trained with UN peace keeping forces with was how he wound up in Finland. Pretty crazy.
He then helped us make sense of the news on TV, which was all related to the downfall of Park Geun Hye. I mentioned how Michelle and I both studied politics and why we were so fascinated by this.
It ended up being a great meal even if we finished only just over half what I order.
Next time, we will only get one of those combo meals.
A lot of people have been to Finland it seems
ReplyDelete