Sunday, December 4, 2016

(Don't Be Alarmed but) Hospital

Ugh.


There are many other ways I would've liked to have spent this Saturday.

But, this was important.

Instead of going on the Seoulmate tour to the palace, I went instead to the hospital.

I had talked to the director yesterday about something that had been bothering me. Almost two months ago I was washing dishes and a big knife slid off the counter and I instinctually grabbed it. It cut deeply into my thumb. It has long since healed, but there is a hard bump, visibly raised, farther down my thumb that has not gone away and it is causing some pain when writing or carrying things. I thought is was a bit silly to complain, but it is probably best to not ignore these things.

The director was wonderfully understanding and called around to make a game plan.

I'm really emabarassed about what happened.

The hospital takes names at 9, so I went at 8:45 to be early. I found then that they had been open since 8, so I was actually their 20th patient.

The lady at the desk greeted me in English and took my information, and a description of what had happened. She ended by saying  "two", "so come back at two?" She nodded, and I left.

There must've been a misunderstanding since I went home to wait and the director contacted me and said she had spoken to the people at the hospital. I still can't figure out what happened:

1. I book an appointment for something else, something that takes names before 9.

2. She actually asked if I would like an appointment at 2 and I never confirmed and just walked out the door.

Either way. The director rescued me. We went to another hospital where there was no wait.

The doctor saw me instantly. The director came in with me and told me I could speak in English to the doctor. I told him was happened and he saw and felt the difference between my thumbs.

Then they talked for what felt like a really really long time, in Korean. Only just before we left did the director speak in English "Yes, I will tell her."

The doctor had recommended another clinic with x-rays, ultrasounds, and muscle specialists. Ufortunately the director discovery upon calling that clinic that they stop taking names at 1pm. So she plans to book for Tuesday when I have two free blocks.

After the medical stuff we detoured by the stationary store to get somethings for the school.

I wrapped up my day with some chicken. Oh Korea, your medical services are complicated, but your chicken is so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment