We finished off the week with a sweet science experiment for the kindergartners. They've been learning about solids, liquids, and gases, and the experiment was fairly relevant -and insanely cool.
It nearly didn't happen though.
The materials needed included white vinegar which is very hard to find. Wheat vinegar is easy to find, but after a very underwhelming volcano experiment we were hesitant to use the fermented vinegar.
To make matters worse, we needed four tea candles, a lighter, and a measuring cup. Once we had identified what we needed, we only had about 30 mins to acquire it or we would have to cancel the experiment. Then it hit me, other than the vinegar, I have all of those things at home. I used the break to rush back to my apartment where I have two lighters, a measuring cup that looks exactly like the one in the picture and exactly 4 tea candles.
When I got back we tested different amounts of vinegar and baking soda to come up with a ratio that would work.
The experiment goes like this, feel free to try it -we were impressed.
Mix 20ml of vinegar with a spoonful of baking soda, let the reaction calm a little (but not too much!!).
Then hold just the edge of the container over each of the tea candles. Without pouring any of the liquid out the flame is put out since the gas given off by the reaction prevents oxygen from feeding the flame. The kids loved it.
There was a bit of a panic when one student believed we didn't have enough candles. She read four tea candles as fourty candles.
Since the experiment itself is so quick there is usually 20-25mins more of class to fill in. We played a guessing game.
"I am a solid. You can find me at the beach."
"I am a liquid. I give cars energy."
"I am a gas. You can see me in the night sky and the day sky."
No comments:
Post a Comment