We met up with the other teachers and got a taxi to the shuttle pick up area.
There was some confusion there as a buss arrived before the director showed up. We weren't sure if tha was going to the same resort or if we should get on it. It reminded me the purpose behind working as the shuttle host at Grouse Mountain -people need guidance.
She did arrive and thankfully, that was not our shuttle. Ours was better.
The bus was decked out with recliner style chairs and it was heated to a temperature that is perfect for sleeping. I am so thankful that it was easy to fall asleep of else I would be stuck trying to overcome car sickness from the bumpy roads during the 2 hour and 20 minute journey to Welli Hilli Ski Resort.
Welli Hilli is closer to the East coast of Korea (we are on the West), and it just outside of Pyeongchang (site for the 2018 Winter Olympics). The resort itself is not really visible from the entrance as the hotels block most of the recreation area.
But once inside, it was winter concentrated in one location. The surrounding area was all green except for this resort which had an impressive snow making fleet. They even opened up several runs while we were there.
We started out with the basic run, since it has been a long time for Michelle and me. It turns out it is like riding a bike -you really don't forget much.
Under the director's guidance we took the gondola to the top run. It turns out the only one open was the most difficult on the hill. Which would've been fine, if my bindings weren't acting up.
The before shot.
My ski detached half way down the steepest part. The patrol officer came to put it back on. Again and again and again, everytime telling me it was good.
The patroller asked me where my friend was and I pointed at Michelle. "No," she said. "Korean friend?" "Yes."
She was ordered to return me to the director. Afterwhich, we got me some new skiis from the rental shop.
We breaked for lunch which the director treated us to -black bean noodles, tteokboki, and fried rice.
Michelle and I breaked for hot chocolate a couple times in the afternoon, but mostly we skiied until dusk.
I kept comparing operations to Grouse in my head. The lifties weren't very skilled. The was a massive line up -mostly ski school kids- and there were chairs going up empty or with only 1 or 2 people on them.
I then realised that when I needed help with the bindings and I was escorted by patrol -I was the troublesome guest, it was me!
The day was sealed with a great photo of Michelle and I in this giant heart that the director took.
So platonic.


No comments:
Post a Comment