Monday, September 19, 2016

What Hatched From The Egg?

I just want to dedicate this blog post to one exercise that one of my classes did today. Since a lot of days will follow the same format, I think it's cool to hone in on some of the details.

This is the class that has been doing all the actions to correspond with words and studying vocabulary about pets.

This assignment was that you have received a colorful egg -it's 'colorful' because we must use American spelling. This egg will hatch into a baby animal of your choosing. draw the animal, then write a description of how you take care of it.I really try to encourage this class to think outside the box a little and choose unconventional animals.

Two of the boys, who are really high achieving, took a sort of blah path and wrote about puppies. Their drawings were incredible, mostly because they tried to draw based on dogs in the book.

Two of the girls (one has just returned and today was her first day back since I started teaching) got really competitive with each other in writing and in drawing. The student whose been in my class longer drew a baby chick. She described the chick first as ugly, and then explained how she had hoped for a cute one but an ugly one had hatched. I was so happy to see her writing with some humour. The other girl had a pet gecko hatch and wrote about how he sleeps with his tongue out and to take care f him she must put it back in his mouth -again funny! She also used one of the vocabulary words we covered while she wasn't even there and wrote "it is not a mammal".

One of the boys in the back, who usually doesn't preform as well as the others, wrote about a baby eagle. Which was quite unique!

Probably most unique was my most disengaged and low preforming student thus far. He finished first with time to spare after writing about a baby elephant that is cute, but strong, and will fight for him. To take care of this elephant he must feed it grapes. I don't think that last part was meant to be funny. I helped him write that part and I asked him what elephants eat. Dead serious, he says "grapes".

Other highlights from today include, my daily hug from my youngest student, wearing a sticker of a pig nose on my nose and waiting for students to catch on, getting all my students to go 'oooooo' whenever someone enters the class late, and finding a walnut pie on my desk from a student's mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment