Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Chuseok Tuesday

This Tuesday was a Friday, the last day before the long weekend. A weekend so long I spent most of Sunday planning what to do.

Three cool things about today:

1. We all got dressed up in traditional Korean clothes for Chuseok. Mine was like a hospital gown: it left my Bum out. One of my students hid in my dress.

2. The students made songpyeon. Traditionally this is a treat made from glutinous rice with sesame seeds and honey in the middle. But the one the students made had raisins instead -and we're also at least 5% booger. The kids made them, but then we swapped them out with some that were made in line with food safe. They will never know the difference. Except possibly the girl who claims to have made one in the shape of a Pikachu.

3. We also played some games with the kids including Tug-of-war! The last round was teachers vs students. I asked quietly if we were going to let them win -NO! But, with some help from one of the Korean teachers, the children overpowered us. Definitely a better ending than watching them all topple directly onto their faces as I assumed would happen.

4. The director gave us wine and cool chuseok snacks! Her and I left in the afternoon for the immigration office and, good news, my card will arrive on the fourth of October -the day the new teachers should arrive. I asked her when I would be moving to the new apartment. "mmm, maybe end of this month or beginning of next?" I jokingly said "Why not the fourth of October? Get it all out of the way". I hope my joking about it means it won't actually happen -not all on the same day.

5. We went out for a BBQ pork dinner after school. Where they used an honest-to-god flamethrower to cook the meat -incredible.

Looking forward to Chuseok!

2 comments: