Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I Have Created What I Hated

Today was my first day attempting to write a report card. As a former hider of report cards I felt like I had become a monster.

This was especially true since I decided to go alphabetically through my students and it just so happens that the first two students are the two that need the most help. After writing comments on both of them I realized that I was both of them.

I sort of had to write in as a compliment sandwich. One nice thing, one critical, but finish on another nice thing. Simply, "Great artist! Distracted easily. Can't really read or write very well. Is well liked by other students." 

The actual comments still need to be refined to be framed as to not make me look like a total asshole and the children as hopeless. I understand Korean parents can take this criticism quite seriously, but I still want to highlight the areas where we need improvement. Even my best reader got the lowest possible mark for hygiene because sometimes one hand is in his pants and the other is in his nose, and, I swear, they must get mixed up sometimes.

The report cards will need to be finished by Friday, but I should have lots of time tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a nice way to say certain things....
-He always knows the answer, but he can't keep it to himself for a second
-Works very fast, and very poorly
-Always answers my questions, with made-up words
-Quite talkative, in Korean 
-Always shares her crayons, and her harsh criticisms of people
-Great at reading, when she isn't crying
-Excellent work, copied from other students books
-Amazing at drawing, but we were supposed to be writing
But really. They are great kids and they try hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment