Saturday, September 3, 2016

A Big Plus

The main journey of the day, before any weekend adventures can happen, was to acquire funds from the bank. Last weekend Kookmin Bank let me down as it was closed on Sunday. So today, a Saturday, I set out to try again.

I didn't use any mapping apps to get there, 100% from memory. I was proud of myself.

I used the atm, failed like every time before, and confidently took my error report upstairs to speak to a teller. Only, no tellers. The doors were closed. Despite Korea's long working hours here I am looking at sealed doors.

I checked my phone to find there were two other Kookmin Banks "nearby"; they didn't say they were open, but the one I was at did say closed. I decided I would go anyways, I would rather make the effort.

The walk was beautiful. I crossed an incredible river lined with gardens and framed by bike paths and stepping stones. I wondered through a park with a shrine, and outdoor gym equipment for public use. The sun came out by the time I got to the bank, it was not nearby. Once again sadly, the bank was closed. I tried the atm to be extra certain, and I'm glad I did -cause it worked.

After walking out of the bank with the kind of confidence that only comes from having money, I suddenly got my bearings. We had gone past this area between picking up my medical results and going to the immigration office. I was recommended to go to Home Plus -or Walmart on steroids. I had planned on getting money today and grocery shopping tomorrow, but seeing as I wound up where I needed to be, I went to Home Plus.

It a multi-level department store, grocery store, furniture store, electronics store and so on. I'm sure shopping here wasn't the cheapest, but it was easy for a foreigner like me. The layout of the store is like any western grocery store and with most of the same products. Most importantly, the checkout wouldn't require any knowledge of Korean.

With a backpack full of groceries, financial confidence, and the direction sense of salmon I return home, not the way I came, but in a loop. I passed through more parks and rivers -I even passed a mega church!

I had planned in my head what to do if I couldn't get money out this weekend, I was going to find a nice local hike to do. I got a recommendation from one of the other teachers and now I will have the freedom to go tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I am super jealous of your direction sense. Me.. I would could have walk into North Korea all while being certain that I was going in the right direction. Explaining that I just took a wrong turn would have been difficult

    ReplyDelete