Sunday, September 18, 2016

Naminara Republic

My visa is only single entry, but I left South Korea today.

I went to visit the Naminara Republic, formerly known as Nami Island, before it claimed cultural independence in 2006. This island is situated in the Eastern part of the Han River, which flows through Seoul. It used to only be accessible during the drier seasons when the water ran low, but since the placement of the dam it can be visited after a short ferry ride.

But first you most get your entry visa and go through immigration. Unlike any tourism destination ever, the price for foreigner is cheaper, weird right?


After going through customs, my Malaysian friend from yesterdays tour and I boarded a very global looking ferry. 


One of the main pulls to the island in this time of year is the rows and rows of poplar and chestnut trees with their changing autumn colours. However, it has been a long hot summer and the leaves are only just starting to change. Since Vancouver is wrapped with evergreen trees, Australia has no fall, and St. John's just didn't seem to have a lot of trees, I can't say I have been desensitized to the fall colours.


The other big pull to the island has been it's infamy as the filming location for Winter Sonata. This famous Korean drama has tributes to it all over the island including a gift store, photo boards, mapped locations of filming, and this statue that is very common to pose with despite is always looking really awkward. Maybe give them some space.


The island's status as culturally independent is clear by how it celebrates art. There are many craft shops, statues, fountains, and they even have a children book fair annually. The artists come from all over the world, and that is reflected on the island. For instance, this exhibt is a tribute to how happy Danish people are.


The island is more than just kid friendly, it's kid crazy! They actually donate a lot of money to unicef, and in return unicef has their own gallery on the island. Nami is very accessible for anyone in a wheelchair. The global tolerance gets better, my friend was happy to see a prayer room by the library and the restaurant we had lunch at was completely halal! 

Naminara Republic is animal friendly too! There are bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, and deer that run wild on the island, and check out these ostriches who came to the party too!



One of the things I really liked about the island was it's creativity recycling the old into art. There were fountains, and even buildings, shaped around used glass bottles. Also a statue made from bicycle wheels! Had I chosen the art life, I would aspire to come here.

It was a really cool spot! It reminded me of the oddity that is Coombs, but no one was really trying to sell me anything. You might think tourist trap, but it's most popular with Koreans (who pay more to get in!). I would totally love to go back in the summer and take advantage of the pool.

We wrapped up the day with a bit of street food just outside of Seoul. What a good day. It's back to school tomorrow! I would never have thought I would type that with any positivity, as someone who hated school, I really do like teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment