Monday, October 17, 2016

Staying Alive

Getting through today was not easy. As expected, the other teachers are sick too, so it's no really fair to contribute any less than they do. We have to be a team; a sick team.

My greatest solace from today had to have been a small schedule change that takes 10 minute off of the lunch hour and move it to the gap between kindergarten and elementary. I used that gap to get a large coffee so I wouldn't fall asleep.

My favourite classtime moment from today had to be with my morning kindergartners. We have been doing a unit on animals, and they loved this one book about baby animals. For the exercises I had them write the name of the animal and what type of animal it was (eg. Radar Ears the Fennec Fox, Bella the Beluga). This was about 3 weeks ago, but the story has left quite the impression on them. Today their writing assignment was three sentences on your dream pet.
I want a pet ...
I will ...
I will ...
It would've been so easy for them to just say , dog, walk him, feed him. Or rabbit, feed him, play with him. Except, everyone has a clear bond with their baby animal from the book. "What pet would you like?"

"Becco the Elephant"

"Ok... I gue-"

"Me, Rooby the Kangaroo!"

"So, a kangaroo."

"Bella the Beluga!!"

So now all of my students want very exotic and specific pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment