Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Fried Chicken Motivation

Probably my favourite moment from today was at the very end of the day with my eldest students.

We always talk about how great fried chicken is, particularly because Korea has the best fried chicken. Yesterday I redesigned their sticker sheet. This is a small board displayed on the wall of the classroom with the name of their level, at the top and each of their names on a badge below with a piece of paper counting stars or sticker leading up to a gift. For these students, it takes 30 stars to get a gift and they have not been terribly motivated by this. The sticker sheet was old, displayed in the wrong classroom, and just completely neglected.

The new one I had made was around their love for messaging on their phones, and eating chicken. The class level is displayed on a drumstick of fried chicken at the top, and each name is accompanied by an encouraging emoji from the Chinese chat application, Line (I asked and they didn't want Korea's KakaoChat emojis).

The unveiling of the new sticker sheet came with a prize of fried chicken I bought for them after the three students had gotten perfect scores on their tests for the fourth time in a row.

They were so happy.

Honestly, I ate part of the chicken before they even came out of class, but no one noticed. We then shared the chicken, pepsi, and pickled radish. I really hope that was a good motivator, I don't think I'll do it again, but that chicken was so good I might change my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment