Tuesday, October 4, 2016

So Much More Than A Word Search

My day can be broken down into the highlights from each class.

My regular kindergarten class continues to be quite passionate for the large word search I have given them to cooperative work on. The are finally getting the hang of it, you can't circle single letters, and you can't circle a random jumble either. Other important moments would have to be, the parrot puppet coming to class to teach them about the carnival. The kids were really into juggling, I kind of want to learn to juggle just to impress them now. And I got two pieces of a coloured artwork from two students, and ostrich and an owl.

The youngest kindergarten class I only teach phonics to. Our phonic lessons usually start or end with a game, the games must be kept simple. We tried musical chairs again. It's very important that the first round have the same number of seats as bums for two reasons. One, to establish what were actually doing, and two, so everyone won at least one round. This particular game ended in a tie because they sat in my chair which accommodates two children bums or one Niki bum.

The other kindergarten class I only teach structured play and art to. They are a small class, 5 students, and 3 are on vacation. Even they knew it was kind of boring. Seeing as they're both high level I thought is would be fun to have them play against each other. AND it was, but they're so evenly matched that both of them hated losing so much since they're used to winning against the other students. Then they both played me, and it got boring pretty fast. The games are a little too easy for them anyways. We finished with a bit of art, I didn't want to get too ahead because we were missing half the class; and we will tomorrow too.

My social studies dictatorship has a new student, a girl in a class of all boys. I was told she was really smart, and her reading level was incredible. She read fast, clear, and loud. However, I warned the other teachers not to overestimate her comprehension. You see, we were talking about needs and wants. She got the hang of it a bit. "What is something you want?" "Melon" ...sure, a bit random, but correct. Then "What is something you need?" "Ugly people." I'm still trying to decode why she came up with that one.

The social studies democracy came after. I gave both classes two word searches in the last ten minutes of class to compete with each other. The class was split into two teams to see who could solve it faster. The democracy voted to do a boys team and a girls team -the girls won by one word by the time class ended. Interestingly enough the democratic boys found 6, the democratic girls found 7, but the dictatorship crushed it, with both teams getting more than 10. This is the first time I have seen the dictatorship surpass the democracy. I can't explain why. (If you have no idea what is going on here, quickly read this blog)

Next, I took on the large class that rotate between the three teachers. Today was my day. The most memorable moment of this class had to have been the bullying that happened. I had challenged the students to tell a story using sequence words, first, then, next, and finally. One student came up with "First I buy the sushi. Then I eat the sushi. Next I want more  the sushi. Finally I buy more the sushi." Then, directly in front of me another student goes "Yeah cause you're a fat pig" and proceeds to oink. I lost it on him. I took away two of his stars -that they were competing for. I told him off, and then he asked why I took away the stars. I snapped all like "Cause I don't like the way you talk to him, it's unacceptable" Then I stared him down trying my hardest hardest not to laugh. Why? he asks, I was all "You know why?". It was epic, you had to be there. It was all, Niki teacher 1, bully 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment