Saturday, January 14, 2017

Social Studies Class

Every Tuesday and Thursday I teach social studies -which is one of my favourite classes to teach.

I'm told a lot of the students also say it's their favourite class.

The textbook we use is as American as apple pie. Todays lesson touched on national heros and celebrating them, examples included Martin Luther King and George Washington.

I wanted to give the students a little more background information since they used the word "colonization" without really explaining it. Since I had previous given them country themed nicknames we used them to discuss who colonised who.

The boy who was England used to be in charge of some other students, like the girl who was the US and the girl who was Canada. The girl who was Japan did the same to the boy who was Korea. The boy who was France also did the same to the girl who was Canada.

They found this quite funny.

To get more international-relations-y with it, we went over attitudes inclaiming independence. The girl playing US acted out a little skit like "You're not the boss of me! I'm the boss of me! Hmmph!", then the Canada girl was like, "France, England, I think I can do this by myself, still friends, right?", then the South Korea boy was more like "Go away!!" to the Japan girl. They had lots of fun with it.

The girl who played the US told me she wanted to do it again where she could have the colonies. I told her that the US did have colonies, and still does have some! She was really interested and asked me to show them to her on the map.

I love that these kids are gonna be geography geeks by the time I'm through with them.

More map enthusiasts like us, right grandpa?

No comments:

Post a Comment