I accidently used a drinking game to teach, and this isn't the first time.
After eye-ball beer pong at the Halloween party I realized how much drinking games were, infact, games. People feel challenged by their odd simpilicity, and that works well for students. So that's how this all came about.
The first-time English speaker class had been going over a number of concepts, higher and lower, same or different, and colours. SO we broke it down to the most simple basic drinking game ever.
I must thank Mick and Mac for thiis one, because I'm pretty sure it was introduced to me by them at their house back in Australia.
First we established red (hearts and diamonds) from black (spades and clubs). Red or black? The put a lot of thought into their answers, I wonder if they were counting cards. Then they have to predict the colour.
Unlike adults, young children don't necessarily need a reward or punishment system in a game. The reaction of their peers serves for both of those things.
We go around the circle with everyone getting to guess at 50-50 odds. After they all have that card face up in front of them. Higher or lower? The students with face cards were quite clever "Lower!".
Now that they all have two cards, we go around. Inside or outside? Will the next card be between those two numbers or outside of them? Again they gave very educated predictions.
We finished off the day with flipping cards wait for them to match up. Different, different, DIFFERENT, DIFFERENT! SAME! Then thay all freaked out and tried to slap the pile first.
It was a successful lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment