Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Seollal: Lunar New Year

It's the year of the rooster! Although that seems to be interpreted as year of the chicken here...

The morning was dedicated to a New Years party for the kindergarteners. Everyone got dress up in the traditional Hanbok -myself included- and we played some traditional games.

Most important is the game of tug-o-war. As I had experienced at Chuseok, you can't let them win, in fact we probably can't win. I speak of course on teachers vs students. You wouldn't think it, but collectively they can over power us -but it was close.

Similar to Chinese New Year, Korean Seollal has a tradition of lucky pouches. These are those special red envelopes given by the elder to the younger. So this time I was on the giving side. Better yet, I got to be the mean teacher. When everyone else was giving them candy, I gave the a pencil.

It turns out they loved them, which kind of spoiled my plan. I was hoping they would use them at school since these pencil have erasers and theirs at school do not. So much classtime is taken up by "'Raysssser, please!!!!", Then they get all ashamed because everyone knows they made a mistake. These pencils have sneaky little erasers on them! But, now they're probably decoratively sitting at home.

Oh well, maybe next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment