Saturday, January 14, 2017

Phonics Focus

I've been so wrapped up in the whole Michelle leaving thing that I forgot to mention how well my classes did on their December monthly test!

My younger elementary student classs: 96%, 92%, 92%, 85%, and 85%. I was so proud of them.

I had actually seen how bad their phonics scores were (and all their scores really), back in October and I said thought, let's start with getting phonics up. They were doing long and short a sounds and we talked about them all the time. But the test came and used words we hadn't gone over.

So the next month I made practice sheets using the words from the book and we practiced s blends; st, sl, sw, sh, sp. Then sure enough they scored really high on the test.

So during December I tried to get that across for all the subjects, and bam, good results.

Wednesdays are phonics days and they've quickly become a favourite since everyone feels really confident with them. Here we go with long and short 'o' sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment