The morning was spent on a field trip to do some "snow sledding".
When we asked what the plan for the fieldtrip was the director had asked if we had heard of snow sledding before. Sensing it could be a Korea-moment and not be what I'm familar with I asked for clarification. Yup, it's sledding. I just figured the snow was implied.
I used my new snowpants again (they' paid themselves off now), and joined the students on the hill. It was a unique experience.
The tow was actually a large conveyor belt at an incline (almost like a flat escalator). At the top there were designated lanes for sledding. The sleds were plastic-bottomed inner tubes. So really, I guess it was snow tubing?
Once everyone was ready to go they would actually blow a whistle and all lanes would go at once, and the next set could not go until the bottom was clear. It was very ... structured. A bit off putting if I had been a kid there. I love the freedom of free ranged tobogganing at Kilmer Park, no line ups or whistles, and maybe even a jump or two.
But still, I had three good runs with some students. I thought they might be scared to go alone (some were) but actually most just realized you go faster with the teacher.
The kids however did love it.
We breaked for a snack and headed back to the school exhausted. So exhausted that we turned on movies for the kids after lunch instead of teacher to the regular schedule, so that everyone could relax a bit.
It meant I actually only taught three lessons that day. Debate, which is fun, social studies, which is fun, and the last class of my day is really just structured play time in English, so fun.
After work we welcomed a new Korean teacher with a delicious meal of Chinese food. Tasty black bean noodles, sweet and sour pork, and even a dish with jelly fish in it! I felt a little unethical eating the jellyfish since my friends know I make a real effort to befriend the jellies as I suspect they could one-day be our overlords or just in charge of the afterlife.
No comments:
Post a Comment