Since the semester began (coincidently on my first real week of solo teaching) the student flipped to the back of their science book and ogled an experiment involving food. The idea is to take a piece of bread, smear it with peanut butter, place to oreo cookies to act as wheels, and then decorate the car with cereal and gummy bears to look like a car. This is because our unit has been on transportation.
They pretty much check with me weekly to see if we would be doing that experiment, and over the past 10 weeks it has been"no". In fact I didn't want to do it at all. It's too messy, it will mess with snack and lunch time, can we even get all the materials? Well, I asked yesterday and the answer is "yes".
Midway through the construction of these cars I realized that once they were eaten, they would be gone, with no memory of what happened that day. The students were watching each other to make sure no one was eating the cookies, so I slipped out to get a Korean teacher to take some pictures.
Finally, I let them eat it. Only one student chomped right into the whole piece of bread. Most just happily started picking and eating the pieces they liked the best -and then, I assume, tossing the bread. Only one student didn't want hers, and she offered it to me. She is the one from this blog. I have been working hard to cultivte trust and friendship. Since I had seen her make it, and I knew they had all washed their hands. I ate a couple pieces "Mmmm!"
"More" she says, shyly pushing the plate at me.
I confided in the other staff that I ate most of it, since I know she's not a nose picker.
Later that day. In front of the whole class. She was telling a story, and I noticed one finger up her nose as she was still speaking. What have I done?
Oh how the mighty have fallen!! You would have loved to roll in that mess....like two months ago?? Spoken like a true teacher Niki!!
ReplyDelete*picks nose*
ReplyDeleteI've eaten your pizzas!
Delete