For my older elementary class we have started preparing in advance. Our assignment for today was to design a poster talking about animals homes and habitats. Last month we did describing animals and we had just taken those posters down last week.
Knowing that their parents would be in the classroom the theme of the work turned into, "impress your mum". The students then were then jokingly asking if my mum would come too. Unlikely, but just incase I worked with them. I usually do a demo as I've found it brings up the quality of everyone's work. The high achieving students are less likely to slack off when they see what they could produce and they get quite competitive about it. This also makes the lower achieving students try extra hard to keep up. I say lower achieving but that's not just test marks, these students just put in less effort generally and that is starting to show. But with this assignment everyone did lots of writing and drawing and I don't think you can tell who put in more effort since everyone tried really hard!
I think you can tell which one is mine though. You impressed mum?
The only animal I am truly scared of.

Oh oh oh, I know this!!! Your work is the Cassowary!! Niki, you couldn't choose a panda, a koala or a snowy owl? You needed to choose the topic that your nightmare are centred around?
ReplyDelete