Thursday, November 10, 2016

Election Day

Expecting to not have internet I made breakfast plans with the other foreign teachers to watch the votes roll in. Even though I got internet, we kept the plans and I walked four doors down with pancakes and they made tea.

We were very confident about Hillary winning. We even avoided the Fox News Live Stream since they were the only station predicting a Trump victory -and how reliable could that be right?

Votes were just starting to come in when we went to our first class. It already looked bad. But it was less than 1% of the votes.

But it didn't get better.

Each class was a little paradise, an escape. Then the bell rang and I returned to my desk only to be reminded of the horror unfolding. It honestly really shook me up to know that was the direction the world was heading; that was the idea that resonated with people.

I guess it hurt me personally too, because -in a strange sort of way- it was easier for me to identify with Hillary. If I ever did want to follow a trail to politics it's paved by so many brave women before me. To see her fail really did hurt. Then to see who she failed to, was just salt in the wound.

I'm such an optimist, but this day just hit me like a truck.

I got take out.

I went home.

I heated up a hot water bottle.

I folded paper cranes while listening to Bob Marley.

Here's hoping every little thing is gonna be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment