Today, I brought some new things for the apartment at Daiso which
is just across the road. I ended up biking along the once-thought endless road.
I basically continued on this path until I was pretty sure I was about to enter
a harbor so I turned back.
I met the other foreign teachers to watch Dr. Strange at the Lotte
Cinema. It was all of our first movie-going experience in Korea. The experience
was pretty similar to when I saw Spiderman in Shanghai. English movie with
subtitles! Purchasing the ticket was also pretty easy as it seemed the titles
were in English and everything was displayed on a screen. The price was
slightly less than a Cineplexodeon and heaps more than South Bank cinema. The
movie was great too! Lots of cool visual effects!
I biked home and picked up some groceries on the way. I returned
to discover the dryng function on the laundry machine had failed me. So I sat
down and translated the whole thing piece by piece. Unlike the rice cooker this
one made a lot more sense. At least the words did, I still wasn’t confident I
had put in the right thing until the clothes came out dry. Job well done.
For some reason I took my bike to school. Like I thought I would
be late, but I was 2 minutes early. Since the move I’m pretty much less than a
block away. I can see the sign for the school out of my giant window.
When I walked into my kindergarten class there were only three
students –out of seven. Two were late and two were sick. It was a very very
easy morning. This is the only age were sorting words as verb, adjective, and
noun is fun. They go “Yay!” when I
start moving their magnetized vocabulary words down to the height where they
can come up and take turns arranging them.
The elementary students in the afternoon had a level test to do
today, so that was four whole lessons for one test. Easy for the teacher and so
hard for the students.
The day concluded with the high schoolers, which as of lately have
been my most difficult class. They performed very poorly on their monthly test
and have been speaking Korean more and more in class –sometimes I feel like I
shouldn’t be interrupting them! Not cool when they aren’t supposed to be
speaking English at all. I first went in and got their phones in the basket,
which makes a big difference. I was more firm about the Korean thing, but I
didn’t have any plan on how to fix this going into the class. It was only at
the end of class that an idea formulated. The debate topic was activities you
prefer to do in a single-sex group. The three girls came up with: showering,
going to the bathroom, swimming, running, and then dancing. On the note of
dancing one student blurts out that another is an amazing dancer. After trying
to coax her into dancing we agreed that if she spoke Korean again before the
end of class she would have to dance. To make her accept this, everybody was
included. Now whoever speaks the most Korean in class has to dance at the end.
Also I am included in this, so if they can get me to speak some Korean in class
and they don’t, then I have to dance. Honestly, I would do it if they could
prove to be that coordinated.
No comments:
Post a Comment