The start of November just mean the turn to winter very quickly.
I boiled water and poured it into bottles to heat my bed last night. I had my heating lamp looming over the bed and I used every blanket I own. I've been layering up daily as it seems it has just gotten insanely cold out of nowhere.
Probably one of the more emotional moments from today was with my top-preforming kindergartner:
He's brilliant but can't always control his emotions. He knows he has to sit in his seat and pay attention but he really struggles with it. The second I call him out on it, he looks at his body like it has betrayed him, apologizes, and sits down.
Today he had had a couple outbursts, unusual for him, so I was very cautious going into gym class. Sure enough he took it really hard when the other team kept winning and he started to cry.
After class, he was still very upset, and this is where we had our movie moment. I sat with him on the bench and asked him how he felt about the game of dodgeball. He said he was mad because two of his classmates are "more lucky" . I asked him if he thinks they're better at dodgeball, he says "yes, but what do you think?". I avoided this question and asked him
"Who do you think is the best at language arts?"
"Me" he says, "And who is the best at reading"
"Me" he says.
This continues for awhile, then I tell him "We do these things every day, and we only play dodgeball once or twice a week. How do you think the other students feel?" He seemed to get it, then he says "But I'm mad. I'm mad at myself."
He has his own high standards set for himself. We agreed it's hard to be perfect at everything, but let's keep trying. Then I asked him if he wanted to be a rocket, and a big smile came over his face. I rocketed him back to class where his classmates were silent expecting to stare at his tear-covered face. Instead he greeted them with a "The rocket is here!". Confidence temporarily restored. Mission accomplished.
No comments:
Post a Comment