Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A-mazing!

My last class of the day was with the new English learners. This is their fourth week here and I was thinking over ideas for games with more talking. I had spare classes to prepare something.

In the end I came up with this gem:

-We started with everyone doing a maze on paper and making sure they all know it's called a maze.
-Next, we went over right and left hands by everyone following actions
-Then the student left the class room in a single file line where we practiced walk straight, stop, left turn, right turn, and so on.
-We walked to the library where I had set up a maze of cups.
-One student was blind folded and they stand at the entrance of the maze
-Before they start the maze everyone rearranges the cups.
-The we call out directions "left!" "right!" "straight!"
-If the student kicks a cup, they have to start again
-Eventually all students finish the maze

It was a wild success! i mean, not everyone passed the first time, but they got better and better.

Afterwards we played out own makeshift game of Stella-stella-ola. Tap knees twice and clap hands once repeating the pattern three times and on the third try 'hands' is replaced with something else. The say the parts outloud so it sounds like "knees knees hands, knees knees hands, knees knees EYES!" This time we went around the circle and let everyone try one.

I did yell at them at one point when suddenly everyone scattered and ran away from the mat after I just told one kid to sit down. It's because there was a fart. One clever kid who remembered "bum" knees knees hands was trying to explain why he fled the scene.

I bet he dealt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment