Thursday, February 16, 2017

Treasure Hunt

The last part of our trial lesson for the new intake of Kindergarteners was today!

I really wanted them to do something special. Something where the earn a prize and really feel proud.

Taking a suggestion from another teacher I settled on doing a treasure hunt.

These kids are super young, like 3-4 years old. So they aren't capable of anything unguided. In fact today they went with a Korean teacher and their mom. They've learned some animals and some colours. So they get shown a map with animal on it -the first is a frog. Find the frog.

The map will actually show them a room. When they get to the door they see a frog on it! The open the door and there are three cups face down. What colour is the frog? There's a red cup, a blue, on and a green. Flip up the green one and there's a map to the next room,! It repeats with different animals questions and colours until they end up in the directors office where they receive a prize!

I feel like this must be the best lesson yet because there was no crying at all!

I was a bit disappointed since I knew it would make sense for me to go with each kid -I had to stay with the others and stall for time. We had some colouring sheets and a video, things were going quite well and I didn't want to mess up a good routine. Even though we had one or two students try to escape to the play room.

The treasure hunt went off with out a problem and it meant all the mothers got to tour the school a little bit too. A lot of work went into it so I hope they do decide to enrol their kids. When I look at where their at and where the kindergarteners from last year are now, I can tell they will learn so much in a short short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment