I introduced the game "What Time Is It, Mr. Wolf?" to the first-time-english speaker class today.
I started by drawing a wolf on the board, Pictionary style. One kid guessed it in English! Then I let that image of the wold simmer in the background as I brought out a clock I made in the break out of a pipe cleaner and a plastic plate. The pipe cleaner twisted at the back of the paper plate to move the hand (there was only an hour hand).
"What time is it?"
They knew the numbers, it was more a matter of getting them to say o'clock.
Then I wrote the question on the board, since they've been practicing reading.
"Waaaaht tiiime iiizzzz iiiittt?"
"Mr. Wolf!" I pointed to the picture.
Then I showed a youtube clip I found of an ESL class playing the game, so they completely understood it.
From there we went to the gym and played. It was successful for everyone. For me, it was the most speaking I go them to do in gym class ever, since they had to keep repeating the question and counting their steps. For them it's been the longest game we have consistently played, no one got bored or distracted!
Although I think the word "lunchtime" might mean something else to them now.
No comments:
Post a Comment