Today I went to install the bird house in the fuse box room.
I first inspected the tubing that its nest was in. No bird. I'd been checking for weeks and I figure it must be out flying during the day. I cleaned things up a bit and moved in the bird house.
The bird house itself is actually just put together from some old shelves in the storage room. So it's a duplex with two rooms.
After I put it in place over the gap by the ventilation tube I when to attach the insolation sheets to the sides with the staple gun. As I was moving around those sheets, I found the bird.
This is really quite morbid, skip reading this is you don't want to hear the gruesome details. Just skip the whole blog post, and maybe the next one, because it's not really going to get cheerful again.
His head had gotten wrapped up in the broken down insolation and he looked as though he hung himself. The insolation was wrapped around his neck. I came back with gloves and a box coffin only to find that touch the bird caused many parts of him bones to fall apart. As the girl who would cry over dead bird and squirrels all the time, I told myself I must really have grown up to be doing this. I knew no one else could be able to do this if I didn't and the bird deserved some respect.
After the bird was placed in the coffin I still intended to finish the job. I threw out the old insolation before it could harm the next tenant, and that was when I found another bird.
This one was all curled up on the floor frozen to death.
As I unravelled the bird mystery I discovered this:
The bird must've been nesting in the ventilation tubes for sometime now. The first nested closest to the outside. The weight of their nest increase as the lived there. It eventually got so heavy it broke an collapsed into the room, leaving the hole. After that, they must've flown in through the hole, found the where the ventilator tubing was still attached and nested there instead. The would've chose that spot because that's where the hot air exits the school. This cycle of nest, build, break must have repeated at least four times based from where segments of the tubing had fallen. The tubing pulled down the insolation -which strangled one bird. The room itself was freezing without the insolation and now the nest, which had broken from the ventilator tube, was also cold. The whole room was way too cold for them.
So I think I figured out the mystery.
But if my theory is true, then the bird house is useless because the room is too cold.
How they hell do birds even live in Korea? Go South!
So that was my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment