I was the most late I have ever been to a Seoulmate tour. That was the result of spending way to long looking for my mask because there's quite a bit of pollution in the air today -and I didn't even find it!
The tour i chose was Buchon Hanok Village, because it was actually my first tour with Seoulmate back in September. Every 4 tours you receive a gift. One my fourth was a special coin purse, and on my eight was a Korean figure, and now for my twelfth, wow... take a look:
It's a book professionally printed with photos from every tour! I was so happy to receive this, it will be the ultimate memory of Korea. The Seoulmates have been so wonderfully kind to me, and they always make my Saturdays fun. I'm really thankful for my time spent with them.
I usually talk with the other participants and we agree that there is nothing like this in our home cities. There maybe be free tours, but they expect a tip, or something! As long as I have been hanging out with Seoulmate they have never asked for anything other than covering your own admission or share of the food. Just give, give, give.
This is totally what the world needs. These university student volunteer thir time to give free tours to foreign friends, and they really mean friends. They are building the sort of friendships that combat notions of otherness.
I feel like locals sometimes express that tourists are somehow a nuissance, and inconvenience on their lives. Here in Seoul you've got something special, a group of people dedicated to making friends, and sharing culture. It might seem strange but really it is an action that transcends any countable value. Thank you Seoulmat!
We had a great tour going around Buchon, especially with some new Seoulmates who were doing their first tour! Personally I was able to tie a lot of the pieces together since I didn't really know that much about Korea on my first tour.
For instance, we started at the secondary palace where we were asked to identify a building. I didn't speak my guess out loud but I figured it would be the library because the library at Gyeongbukgong is at the same location. And it was! Then the explain that the library was burned down during the Japanese invasion.
On my first tour it would've felt like "Hmm, the Japanese came here and burn a library, that's harsh." But after the other tours you realize the Japanese did so much more than that.
The historic high school we visited was the site of a famous Korean drama. I had no reference for dramas on my first tour. Now I know that is 도깨비, also known as Korean Goblin. And, get this, it had some scenes filmed in Quebec City! Des Escalier Casse-Cou was right next to where I volunteered for Red Bull Crashed Ice.
I understood what I was looking at when we were by the the look out points. Suddenly, big Seoul felt kind of managable and familiar. It was a nice feeling.
We moved to Insa-dong market to have some drinks at the cafe before wrapping up the tour.
After that I just took the train back to Ansan. I looked over the book twice again since I got home.
I love Seoulmate!

No comments:
Post a Comment