Today was day two of properly teaching. I had the same kids and the same schedule as yesterday morning and that took me up until a tasty school lunch.
I had S1 -S for Special- for the first time today, I knew instantly I would like them.
I'm teaching social studies to them out of the most American textbook possible. It's embarrassing really, one poor girl had to read a part that talked about the Pledge of Allegiance. The first unit is on citizenship and what it means to be a good citizen. Very appropriate that I, majoring in this area, would be teaching them words like law, government, and president. When I introduced the first vocabulary word, citizen, I asked them if they knew what it was. "A person?" one student asked. I said yes, but they must belong to a country or state (that's word for word from the textbook, not my opinion). So I asked which country are you a citizen of? The really eager boy to my left goes "ANSAN!" and the student on my right go "No, Korea!!". Kind of neat, I told them I was a Canadian citizen and two of my students in that class used to study in Canada!
During an "Open Class" where I have no class to teach I marked some of the journals from one of my older classes. Their topic was to write on where they think would be a good destination for the next school field trip. My favourite response was from a new student. He wrote about going to Sokcho, known now as the only city in South Korea where you can play Pokemon Go. AND that is exactly what he wrote about...
He's pretty clever, he can handle some tough love if he really wants to be the very best, like no one ever was.
I was pleased to go out with the other teachers after class to get some dinner. Even better when the school director accompanied us and chose a new restaurant with this delicious soup! And if she hadn't gone with us we may have never figured out that there was unlimited rice (bap). So if I'm ever strapped for cash again I should just move in there and live off the rice.

No comments:
Post a Comment